Saturday, June 9, 2012

Don't read these books ... yet.

Have you ever read a book that ruined another book for you? Earlier this week, I started Odd Thomas for my book challenge and it said who murdered Roger Ackroyd in Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd on page 4! I don't know if I ever would have read that book, but if I had wanted to, that would be very frustrating.

The book that always comes to mind when I think about spoilers, though, is The Double Bind. It gives away the entire storyline of The Great Gatsby. I know The Great Gatsby is a classic, so of course I knew some aspects of the story, but the level of detail in The Double Bind gave pretty much everything else away. In fact, when I finally read The Great Gatsby this year, I found myself constantly thinking about the parts that were revealed in The Double Bind.


I also recently finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which outlines the entirety of The Hound of the Baskersvilles in one of its chapters. It lists the suspects, the actual perpetrator, the clues, the red herrings: everything! I tried skimming over that chapter in case I ever read the Sherlock Holmes story for myself and wanted to be surprised, but I felt like I was missing out so I had to read it all.

Has a book ever ruined another book for you? Let me know so I can avoid them until I've read the other book!

3 comments:

audrey said...

Brilliant! There should be a master list of these somewhere so we know which ones to read first. :) I loved The Double Bind- Bohjalian is a favorite fiction write. I didn't think about it at the time, but you're right- it totally spoils Great Gatsby!

Carenpants said...

I've never thought about this before, but you're right, does ruin it! I read Curious Incident, but I had already read Hound of the Baskervilles, so it didn't ruin it. I think it should just be off limits.
P.S. How are you liking the 50 shades of grey series?

Anonymous said...

I love it that you love to read. I wish I had TIME to read I'm super busy with school and everything and I read for class so that kinda takes the fun out of it sometimes. BUT maybe I'll read during the holidays.

xxx,

Danielle Faith
DaniFaith1029.BlogSpot.com

PS: I'm your newest follower! :-) Follow me back, if you want!